Saturday, April 4, 2009

Profession

I might not be a suitable match for my age. I don’t regret it, in fact I am proud of how mature, independent and determined I am.

But surprisingly, I ran into an old friend of mine today. We used to work in the same office before when she was so passionate in being an architect and did lots of work on it. Even had optimistic dreams of pursuing higher studies and continuing to be one hell of an architect. And when everyone saw how less creative she was and how good she was at orientation, she decided that architecture is not her field and she wants to be a management professional.

As enthusiastically as anyone can be, she started to pursue her career in the management, which I’m not sure is the right choice. Couple of months later, I ran into her in one of my classes for Diploma in Marketing. I assumed that she wanted to do this course as it will help her in her management career especially she was in a firm that did business.

And today, as shocking as it was, she said she joined the field of journalism not for a sake of job but because she has been very much interested in journalism as a career. I am strongly saying to her face “that’s hell of a bluffing”. She is the same age as I am. And I am wondering if she sees herself as a passionate nurse tomorrow.

I do respect her in one way. For trying out the challenges. But hey, this is 21st century when you can look your options virtually rather than try one by one every year. If this goes on for her, she would be 40 when she would have chosen a career that she is truly inspired by, by then its too late.

So here’s my conclusion; if you are teachers, keep your students informed as much, if you are parents, keep your children’s eye open for opportunities in the public. And as a social being, is more open minded and let lives begin early, so you can get enough time to crash with hell lot of money and one big family and a past to treasure with.

No comments:

Post a Comment